Game 1: Lynchburg 6, Mt. Aloysius 3
Game 2: Lynchburg 12, Mt. Aloysius 7
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Fox Field)
Records: Mt. Aloysius (0-2), Lynchburg (8-4)
Around the Horn
Lynchburg scored a combined 18 runs to sweep a Sunday afternoon double-header with Mt. Aloysius on Fox Field.
Game 1 Breakdown
- Senior Zack Englelmann got the start for the Hornets and went on to pitch a seven inning complete game victory, striking out eight Mounties while only allowing three runs
- The Mounties scored in the opening inning to take an early 1-0 lead
- Adding another run was Mt. Aloysius in the second inning to go up by two runs
- The bats came alive for Lynchburg in the bottom of the third inning when senior Ryan Katona drove in two RBIs which was followed by junior Matt Ward driving in another run to make it 3-2 in favor of the Hornets after three.
- Separation occurred in the bottom of the fifth inning when Lynchburg scored three more runs to extend the lead to 6-2. RBIs came from Katona, junior Will Harris, and junior Matt Wood
- The Mounties would chip into the Hornet lead during the sixth inning but it was not enough as Lynchburg secured game one.
Game 2 Breakdown
- Much like the first inning, Lynchburg scored three more runs with Ward driving home sophomore Thomas Powell
- In the same inning Sharp would hit a bases clearing double with the bases loaded to extend the Lynchburg lead to 7-0
- A push from the Mounties came in the third inning when they put up four runs off of three hits to cut the Hornets lead to just three
- Five runs in the third and fourth inning would grow the Lynchburg lead back to five runs
- Mt. Aloysius found a small spark in the seventh inning when they added two runs but it wasn't enough to complete the comeback
- Sophomore Jake Connor moved to 3-0 on the season after pitching five innings
The Hornets open up Old Dominion Athletics Conference play when Guilford comes to Fox Field next Saturday for a 1 p.m. start.