Lynchburg 16, Hampden-Sydney 7
Location: Hampden-Sydney, Va. (Ty Cobb Ballpark)
Records: Lynchburg 15-16 (5-10 ODAC), Hampden-Sydney 17-13 (6-6)
Around the Horn
Hampden-Sydney, Va. - Lynchburg traveled to Hampden-Sydney Tuesday evening where they recorded 17 hits during a 16-7 victory over the Tigers.
Game 1 Breakdown
- The Tigers would answer with four runs in the bottom half of the inning to take a one run lead
- Lynchburg re-took the lead in the second inning off a double from senior Matt Ward that scored Rodgers and Powell
- Hampden-Sydney would tie the game in the third inning off a single
- Lynchburg began to separate from the Tigers in the fifth inning when Hylton singled to bring home Katona
- The Hornets would add three more runs in the inning when Ward hit a bases clearing triple to drive home Powell, Hylton, and freshman Shawn Allen to make it 12-5 in favor of Lynchburg
- Keeping the bats hot were the Hornets in the eigth inning when Allen, Hylton, Rodgers, and Crouch all drove in runs to make it a nine run lead
- The Tigers would add one run in the bottom half of the ninth before falling to Lynchburg 16-7
- Sophomore Ryan Irby earned his first win of the season after pitching 5.2 innings
- Junior Jacob Flora would come in to pitch 3.0 innings while allowing just three hits
The Hornets will return to Fox Field this Saturday for an Old Dominion Athletic Conference doubleheader against Virginia Wesleyan at noon.