Score: Virginia Wesleyan 92, Lynchburg 79
Location: Norfolk, Va. (Donald M. Forsyth Court)
Records: Virginia Wesleyan (11-4, 4-2), Lynchburg (9-6, 3-3)
40 Minutes Later
The Hornets had a career performance from senior Zack Burnett but the Marlins were just too much to handle, pulling away late for 92-79 victory. Virginia Wesleyan had two players score 20+ points, one of which came off the bench. The Hornets couldn't buy a bucket, having trouble finding the bottom of the net while the Marlins shot 50.0% from the floor, including 43.3% from deep.
- Burnett finished the night with a career-high 37 points, coming just four games after matching his previous career-high of 30 points against Averett on Dec. 31
- Sophomore Connor Schroeder is becoming one of the conference's best all-around players, recording his fifth double-double on the year after scoring 19 points and swiping 12 boards
- The other double digit scorer for the Hornets, junior Logan Seacrist, scored 10 points and tallied five rebounds on Saturday evening
Beyond the Stat Sheet
- The Hornets commited a season-low seven turnovers
- Burnett's 14-18 performance from the free throw line were both career-highs as well
- Burnett is slowly moving up the list of the conference's top scorer's now averaging 19.2 PPG while Schroeder is now swiping 8.6 rebounds a game
A Look Ahead
The Hornets will host Hampden-Sydney next Wednesday in Turner Gymnasium with tip-off set for 7:00 p.m.