Score: Lynchburg 14, Sewanee 12
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Shellenberger Field)
Records: Lynchburg (14-6), Sewanee (10-7)
From the Face-Off
The Second Round match-up between the Hornets and Tigers went longer than anticipated as clusters of thunderstorms hit the campus, forcing two delays which combined for more than two hours. The Hornets led 2-0 before the first delay and held a 7-2 advantage as the second delay was called. The Tigers roared back into the game following the second delay, even taking the lead at one point. The Hornets did not let the game slip away though, responding to their opponents goals and eventually retaking the lead and not letting go, finishing off the Tigers and advancing to the 3rd Round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Lynchburg developed a comfortable 5-2 lead by the end of the first quarter thanks in large part to the sophomore duo of Andrew Thomas and Logan Adams who scored or assisted the other on all five goals for the Hornets
- Sewanee held the advantage in goals in the second quarter but sophomore Evan Lombardo and Thomas kept the Hornets distanced from the Tigers
- The momentum shifted in the Tigers favor going into the second half but the Hornets did not let it affect them as senior Harrison Brennan, Lombardo and Adams each scored one goal keeping Lynchburg ahead, 10-9
Inside the Box Score
- Thomas netted a career-high five goals putting him at eight games with at least three goals this season
- Adams registered a career-high seven assists, which is also the second-most in a game in program history while also adding a goal
- Lombardo and Brennan both tallied a pair of goals each while sophomore Nick Willertz and Thomas collectively scooped up four ground balls each
- Junior CJ Santora moved to 14-6 on the year after making seven saves
A Look Ahead
Lynchburg will face another familiar opponent in the Third Round of the NCAA Tournament as they hit the road for York College. The Hornets and Spartans will engage in what hopes to be another enthralling game, similar to the first meeting which saw the Hornets edge the Spartans in 2OT to hand York (Pa.) their first loss of the season at the time. Check lynchburgsports.com for in the coming days for more information regarding game time and tickets for this Saturday's contest.