Salisbury, Md. -- The 19th-ranked Lynchburg College's softball team fought to a doubleheader split on the road at Salisbury Friday afternoon, falling 6-5 in the opener before rebounding to take the nightcap, 11-4.
The loss put an end to Lynchburg's eight-game, season-opening win streak, but the Hornets got right back on track with 18 hits on the tail end of the twinbill.
Senior center fielder Skylar Dickens (Virginia Beach, Va.) totaled five hits and two runs scored on the day, while the heart of the LC order brought their power bats to the ballpark. Freshman left fielder Jordyne Vance (Lynchburg, Va.) homered in the opener, junior third baseman Taylor Mabry (Bassett, Va.) and senior second baseman Leslie Bourgeois (Bealeton, Va.) both went deep in the second game, and junior first baseman Mackenzie Chitwood (Ferrum, Va.) doubled in each.
Game 1 Final: Salisbury 6, No. 19 Lynchburg 5
Game 2 Final: No. 19 Lynchburg 11, Salisbury 4
Records: No. 19 Lynchburg 9-1, Salisbury
Venue: Sea Gull Softball Stadium, Salisbury University, Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lynchburg leapt out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the second on Vance's two-run home run to left, her third of the season, but Salisbury evened the tally with a two-run homer of its own in the following frame.
- The Hornets put three more runs across in the fifth. Chitwood's two-run double plated junior catcher Brittany Coffey (Manassas, Va.) and Dickens, and Bourgeois brought Chitwood home with a two-out RBI single.
- The Sea Gulls fought back with four runs in the bottom half on four consecutive RBI knocks that gave the hosts the lead. Lynchburg got runners aboard in both the sixth and seventh but were unable to bring the tying run around.
- The Hornets responded in a big way with a season-high 18 hits in Game 2, and they didn't waste time. Sophomore shortstop Kayla Hugate (Chesterfield, Va.) delivered a bases-loaded, two-out, RBI single for a 1-0 lead in the first.
- After Salisbury plated two in the bottom half, Lynchburg took the lead for good with five in the top of the second. Chitwood delivered her second two-run double of the afternoon, and Mabry followed it with a two-run homer to left on the 11th pitch of an epic at-bat. After a pitching change, Bourgeois slammed another homer to the pull side to put LC ahead 6-2.
- The Sea Gulls closed the gap with single runs in the second and third, but sophomore hurler Alex Cisar (Sykesville, Md.) slammed the door with four innings of shutout ball to end the game. LC added runs in the final three innings, which included a pair of RBI singles off Hugate's bat.
Lynchburg will stay on the Eastern Shore for the weekend to take part in the Salisbury Invitational. The Hornets will play a doubleheader against Immaculata Saturday beginning at noon and another Sunday at 10 a.m. against Rochester. All four games will be played at the Henry S. Parker Softball Complex, Field 1.