Greensboro, N.C - The Lynchburg College softball team won two close games on the road at Guilford, 4-1 and 5-2, Wednesday, good enough to move into fifth place in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference standings.
Sophomore pitcher Alex Cisar (Sykesville, Md.) notched her sixth victory of the season with a dominant game in the opener. The right-hander allowed just one hit and one earned run in a complete-game win. The Hornets once again received quality pitching in Game 2 as freshman Kayley Cox (Yorktown, Va.) and senior Conner English (Altavista, Va.) combined for seven innings of two-run ball, striking out six Quakers.
Game 1 Final: Lynchburg 4, Guilford 1
Game 2 Final: Lynchburg 5, Guilford 2
Records: Lynchburg (19-9, 5-5 ODAC), Guilford (13-11, 2-5 ODAC)
Venue: Haworth Field, Guilford College, Greensboro, N.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior second baseman Leslie Bourgeois (Bealeton, Va.) kicked off the scoring in the top of the third inning when a sacrifice fly to left field scored senior outfielder Skylar Dickens (Virginia Beach Va.). The next batter, sophomore shortstop Kayla Hugate (Chesterfield, Va.), hit an infield single to score Chitwood and give the Hornets a 2-0 lead.
- Guilford's Makayla Carver singled in a run in the bottom of the frame to cut the score to 2-1.
- Lynchburg added an insurance run on Dickens' RBI bunt single in the fourth, and Chitwood sealed the victory with a solo home run over the center field fence in the seventh.
- Guilford was able to strike first in the second game of the doubleheader when Carver smacked a home run over the right field wall to give the Quakers a 1-0 edge. The Quakers tacked on another run in the bottom of the third inning when third baseman Anna Wolfe reached on an error to score Makayla Carver and push the lead to 2-0.
- Lynchburg proceeded to score five unanswered runs thanks to the help of Mabry and Mitchell, who each clobbered home runs in the contest. Mabry went 3-for-4 with a pair of RBI.
The Hornets will return to Lynchburg to play host to Bridgewater on Saturday, April 7 for an ODAC doubleheader. First pitch of Game 1 is scheduled for 1:30 p.m.