Score: Lynchburg 70, Greensboro 33
Location: Ashland, Va. (Crenshaw Gymnasium)
Records: Lynchburg (2-0), Greensboro (0-2)
40 Minutes Later
The first quarter came to a close with Lynchburg ahead of Greensboro by just 3 points but following the intermission, the narrative quickly changed. Lynchburg locked down on defense and the offense caught fire as the Hornets held the Pride to just eight points in the next 20 minutes while scoring 38 points of their own, making 15 of the 34 shots they took.
- Sophomore Molly Shephard scored 15 points off the bench for the second straight game while also grabbing five rebounds
- Notching her second 10+ point game, senior Charmaine Hairston had the hot hand on offense and defense after shooting 62.5% from the floor and recording three steals
- Senior captain Sarah Coronel kept the scorekeeper busy after recording eight points, seven boards, three steals and three assists in the victory
Beyond the Stat Sheet
- Lynchburg cause 33 turnovers and turned those into 38 points, with 10 coming on the fastbreak
- A key to the Hornet's success on Friday night was their superior play down low, outscoring the Pride 46-22 in the paint
- The Pride went 0-13 from behind the 3PT line, many of the attempts coming as last second heaves to beat the shot clock after the Hornets defense proved to be impenetrable
A Look Ahead
The women will look to bring the same lockdown defense and sharp shooting as they take on #11 Albright College, who was upset by Randolph-Macon, 70-66, in the first game on Friday night. The game is set to start at 2 p.m. on Saturday.