Lexington, Va. -- The No. 23-ranked Lynchburg College women's soccer team pounded out a trio of second-half goals, and the defense played splendidly en route to a 3-0 Old Dominion Athletic Conference road victory over Washington and Lee Saturday.
Kennedy Jakubek (Leesburg, Va.) scored LC's first goal, her fifth in the Hornets' last three games, and Katie Waring (Chester, Va.) finished with a goal and an assist. Sarah Hammock (Virginia Beach, Va.) also scored for Lynchburg.
Final: Lynchburg 3, Washington and Lee 0
Records: Lynchburg (11-1, 4-1 ODAC), Washington and Lee (7-3-1, 4-1 ODAC)
Venue: Watt Field, Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The two teams battled to a scoreless first half, thanks in part to Hornets goalkeeper Delia LoSapio (Raleigh, N.C.), who made three saves in the first 45 minutes.
- Jakubek broke through the Generals' defense in the 54th minute, finishing Waring's ball from the right side of the box.
- Lynchburg wasted no time adding insurance, as Caitlin Mertens (Succasunna, N.J.) played a ball to the center of the box that Waring shot into the net in the 58th minute.
- Hammock tacked on the Hornets' last score, her fifth of the season, on a 74th-minute assist by Georgie Duggan (Stafford, Va.).
- LoSapio finished with four saves as she and the Hornet defense put the finishing touches on LC's fifth-straight win and sixth shutout of the season.
Lynchburg will return to Shellenberger Field on Friday, Oct. 13 against ODAC rival Roanoke College. Senior night festivities will precede the 7 p.m. match.