Salem, Va. -- The Old Dominion Athletic Conference's men's basketball coaches voted University of Lynchburg fifth in the league's preseason coaches' poll, the conference announced Thursday at the ODAC's annual men's basketball media day at the Salem Civic Center.
Lynchburg garnered 97 points in the ballot, winding up deadlocked with rival Washington and Lee in the voting. The teams were chosen behind defending league champion Guilford, Randolph-Macon, Virginia Wesleyan, and Roanoke in the voting and were well-ahead of seventh-chosen Eastern Mennonite.
Guilford led the poll with six first-place votes and 136 points. Randolph-Macon laid claim to four top nods, and Virginia Wesleyan took the other three as the two teams finished tied for second in the voting.
As for Lynchburg, the Hornets are looking to build on momentum gathered in a 2018-19 season that saw the Hornets ranked in the D3hoops.com top 25 for the first time in program history. Lynchburg got out to a 17-1 start in that campaign and reached as high as No. 14 in the national rankings. The Hornets finished 20-6, matching the best regular-season record in program history, and fell in the ODAC tournament's quarterfinal round.
This season is set to begin Friday, Nov. 8 with a 6 p.m. contest against Albertus Magnus in Frederick, Md., at Hood College's MMI Tip-Off Tournament.
Visit Lynchburg athletics' home online, LynchburgSports.com, anytime for up-to-the-minute news on all Hornets sports and coverage from the Lynchburg Hornets Sports Network. Click here to sign up for email and text alerts from Lynchburg athletics.
2019-20 ODAC MEN'S BASKETBALL PRESEASON COACHES POLL
1. Guilford College (6 pts.) -- 136 points
2. Randolph-Macon College (4) -- 131 points
2. Virginia Wesleyan University (3) -- 131 points
4. Roanoke College -- 107 points
5. University of Lynchburg -- 97 points
5. Washington and Lee University -- 97 points
7. Eastern Mennonite University -- 60 points
8. Randolph College -- 57 points
9. Hampden-Sydney College -- 52 points
10. Emory & Henry College -- 40 points
10. Ferrum College -- 40 points
12. Shenandoah University -- 34 points
13. Bridgewater College -- 32 points